The education provided to alumni at the University of Illinois Undergraduate Division at Navy Pier (1946–65) provided the foundation for a generation of students to pursue their educational opportunities and build a future for themselves and society. Students who attended the Navy Pier branch struggled on a daily basis with their commute and had limited access to support programs or extracurricular activities. Yet these students persevered and flourished, and now they want to encourage current students by providing much needed financial support through the Pier Scholars Award.
A scholarship valued at $1000 will be awarded across the two semesters of the 2017−2018 academic year ($500 during the fall 2017 and spring 2018 terms). The scholarship is one–year non–renewable.
The following criteria must be applicable at time of application and maintained during the term of the scholarship:
- Candidates must be full time undergraduate students (enrolled at least 12 credit hours) throughout the award period.
- Students should show academic excellence with a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or better.
- Candidates must have completed at least 40 credit hours; at least 24 of the credit hours must be at UIC.
- Senior students must have two full semesters to complete during the award period.
- Candidates must have financial need as demonstrated by the FAFSA. The 2017–2018 FAFSA must be on file in order to be considered for this award.
- Candidates must be in good academic and disciplinary standing.
- Candidates should have a history of involvement and/or leadership in a student
organization(s), including volunteer participation in a campus or off–campus service learning activity(ies).
- Candidates must reside in locations other than university–provided housing.
- Candidates should be the first in their immediate family to attain a college degree.
The UIAA Pier Scholar selection committee will review applications for the above noted criteria.
Candidates will be asked to release academic records and financial aid records to the selection committee for the sole purpose of scholarship selection.
To apply for this opportunity, visit UIC SnAP, UIC’s centralized scholarship list and application system.